If you have ever wondered how your website or app compares to its peers, this is the test for you. A competitive test is a side-by-side comparison of similar websites or apps. The point is not to determine which one comes out on top, but instead to identify each one’s strengths and weaknesses from a customer’s point of view.
When comparing similar websites, customers notice which features they like and which website best helps them accomplish a task. For you, a competitive test provides not only insight into how people use your website, but also how other companies’ websites or apps perform within a defined context.
- We start by working with you to understand your research objectives, identify your target audience and determine which websites or apps to compare.
- Your assigned research team will then develop a test plan, which includes the task scenarios and moderator questions that will be used to ensure all necessary feedback is gathered during the test sessions.
- In parallel, Usability Sciences’ in-house recruiting team will screen and schedule participants who meet your target audience.
- One-on-one test sessions (either 60 or 90 minutes long) are conducted over two to three days. During the test sessions, participants perform identical tasks on your website, as well as the sites of two of your competitors. After working with each website, participants are asked questions about what they think about the website or app. Once they have seen all of the websites being tested, participants are asked to rate each in order of preference.
- After testing is complete, the results are analyzed and compiled into a report, which contains actionable recommendations for fixing the observed issues with your website. The research team also creates a Best-of-Breed model, which is a list of best practices for creating the ultimate website or app.
For a competitive test, you do not have to select literal competitors for testing—in fact, to compile the most comprehensive list of ideal features, it is best to compare websites with functionalities that are distinctively different from yours. This diversity can yield a much richer list of desirable website features.
Competitive testing will also help you answer the following questions:
- How does your website or app compare with other similar websites?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of your website compared to other similar websites?
- Which website do users prefer?
- Which features are of highest value to your target customers?
Contact us today to find out how your website measures up to the competition.
Also, let our team of user experience professionals take you through competitive testing insights:
- Sizing Up the Competition: This article explains how to get the most value out of competitive testing, as well as situations when competitive testing is appropriate to use.